Documentary, 26min, Greece, 2017
A painting class of refugee children from Afghanistan, reveals their memories from the war and their journey to Europe.
At Skaramanga’s Refugee Camp Greece, a group of refugee children from Afghanistan, at the age of 10-13, paint their experience and memories from the war and their journey to Europe. Through their drawings, they describe their city as they remember it, the city that they ‘ve found shelter in and the city that they wish to live in the future.
Direction, cinematography, production: Ioanna Neophytou, Dimitris Stamatis
Workshop Design: Ioanna Neophytou
Editing: Ioanna Neophytou
Original Music: Alexandra Katerinopoulou
Sound Recording, Sound Mixing: Sotiris Laskaris – Dimitris Stamatis
Directing / Script Consultants: Marco Gastine
Editing Consultants: Chronis Theocharis, Giannis Xirouchakis
The documentary «Painting» was created in Home New Home workshops, a project of History Doc. It was filmed during the workshop «Painting my Imaginary City», organized by IOM Greece with the support of the European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations Department (ECHO), and it was realized in the facilities of Hope School in Skaramangas.
- Trailer (Greek subtitles): https://youtu.be/25…
- The film in Thessaloniki Film Festival
Screenings and Awards:
- 20th Thessaloniki Documentary Festival, 2018.
National Premier, Audience Award for Greek films under 50 min.
- 5th Peloponnisos International Documentary Festival, 2019.
Special Mention of the committee.
- «With the eyes open», 4th Festival of Greek Documentary, Athens, 2018.
- Diversions International Short Film Festival, Zagreb, Croatia, 2018.
- Dublin Greek Film Festival, Ireland, 2018.
- 5th International Documentary Film Festival of Ierapetra, Greece, 2018.
Official selection in the national competition.
- Marmaris International Short Film Festival, Turkey, 2018.
Official Selection in International Competition.
- Ecrans documentaires, Paris, 2018.
- Cinema Verité – Iran International Documentary Festival, 2018.
- Moments of truth (Στιγμές Αλήθειας) – Documentary Festival of New Creators, Ένωση Ελλήνων Σκηνοθετών, Athens, 2020.